Monday, July 15, 2013

Silhouettes on Main Street

Hey folks, it's been a while... so long in fact, that most anyone who comes across my blog these days doesn't even know who I am, the others may have forgotten.

Anywho, I'm hoping to start blogging again. I have a lot from my last trip that I never got around to posting. So without further ado, let's get on to what I wanted to share today...

We arrived Saturday afternoon and had lunch at our resort. We finally made it to Magic Kingdom that evening just to check things out a bit. We made our way around to a few rides, but it was hot and people were tired from our travels that day. I found the perfect thing to do while we waited for the second Main Street Electrical Parade of the evening... 

The very first night I was looking up all things Disney as I prepared for our May 2011 Disney Trip I came across what came to be one of the most insightful Disney blogs I'd read, The Mouse Connection. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- Ginger has some great information on her blog. I read the whole thing in one sitting that night. One post in particular caught my attention as it was something I knew I had to do while I was in Disney- the Silhouettes on Main Street.

We found Jim tucked in a nook on Main Street, hot, but waiting patiently for someone to come along so he could get to work. Bug plopped down first and Jim's busy little scissors came alive at the guidance of his steady hand. It was amazing to see Bug's profile come out of this white paper so quickly and easily. 
Bubby, who, by the way, now goes by Dude, was pretty pooped. He chose to sit in my lap as Jim worked on his profile. That didn't bother Jim any. Neither did the pacifier in his mouth.
What an awesome talent. Jim was very polite, but very focused on what he was doing. It amazed me how quickly his hands whipped around to pulled my children's faces from that plain paper. 
After he got the silhouettes cut out I wanted them framed. You could just purchase the silhouttes and frame them at home, but I loved the little oval frames. They weren't that expensive so I opted to have it done there.
Oh, and I'm not quite sure how or why it worked out that way, but since there were two kids I got two copies of each of their silhouettes. Which was perfect because I was able to give Grandma & Grandpa one, too!
And the finished product!
For only $34 we got two framed silhouettes of both children. Money well spent in my opinion!

Poor Jim, it was sooo hot!! He was so nice though. I'm not sure the policy, but we tipped him for his work. He was blown away by that. He insisted he didn't need it, that he really enjoyed his craft, but we also we blown away by his work and that he should take it. I think it made his day. I still can't get over how much they resembled my children. He got Bubby down to a T!! 

This is by far my favorite souvenir! We may lose some trinkets along the way, or outgrow the stuffed animals or characters (dare I say! some of us never will), but regardless, these silhouettes will be something we'll forever cherish!

Have any of you done the Silhouettes on Main Street? Is it something you'll be looking for on your next trip?

This post carries a disclosure Level of 0. Please see my disclosure page for more details.

4 comments:

  1. Super excited to see you posting again! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited to be posting again!! Talking to you has definitely put me in the mood again!!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Bird!! Glad to see you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has one of us as kids and I love it. Then on a return trip my Dad has one done with my son. I love this tradition and so happy Disney has continued it.

    ReplyDelete